Thursday, October 21, 2010

Chai Tea for an Autumn Afternoon



Celebrate autumn's splendor with afternoon tea in the crisp, cool air.



I recently tried a delicious new recipe for chai tea. Eight-year-old son Christian took one sip of this warm, comforting drink and said, "Mmmm ... this tastes like a mother's love."



Our chai tea was perfect served with cranberry scones, jam and almond cream.



Our chai tea recipe came from this sweet little cookbook a friend gave me after my back surgery this summer.

 

Chai Tea
Warm up a fall afternoon with a steaming cup of comfort.

1 cup of water
1 small stick of cinnamon
6 cardamom pods
6 whole cloves
1/5 inch fresh ginger root (sliced thin
1/2 cup of milk
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons loose Darjeeling tea
Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add milk and sugar. Return to simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, add tea leaves, and cover. Let steep for 3 minutes and drain. (Note: I quadrupled this recipe to serve our family at afternoon tea, using four single-serving tea bags. I found cardamom pods at World Market for a fraction of the price I would have paid in my local grocery store.)

"It was one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life." -- P.D. James




8 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

What a pretty post..It looks good too...

Mary Beth said...

Such beautiful pictures. Makes me feel so cozy just looking at them.

Tina said...

I believe Christian is going to be the next Lester author!

Susan said...

Looks and sounds delicious, Melissa. So glad you are recuping your health. Susan

Rach said...

Sounds perfect for this cool weather!

Carol said...

Melissa,
That is a wonderful tea recipe. And an apt description by your son!

LeeAnne said...

I LOVE chai - can't wait to try this recipe! Oh, and by the way, I hosted a birthday tea party for Maggie's 6th birthday this weekend, and I got the best compliment ... my mom (who also enjoys reading your blog) said the table reminded her of "something Melissa would do." :) (Pics are on facebook, but I'll try to blog about it soon as well.) Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

"this tastes like a mother's love" seriously???? I cannot imagine any 8 year old boy saying something so ridiculous--I swear I think you make up half of this stuff just to "keep up appearances"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin