Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Refinishing Steps



During the past few weeks, most of the flooring in our home has been replaced. It has made for a hectic month, but I am enjoying the fresh new look the update has brought. I will share more of our results as I get rooms fully decorated, but in the meantime wanted to share photos of a one-day project. 




We got our flooring from my in-laws' fabulous floor covering business, The Mill Store in LaGrange, Ga. Installer Bo was very helpful in advising me in household projects, and he encouraged me to refinish our steps to make them look new and fresh.





So I took advantage of a quiet day while Joe and the children were out to freshen the staircase. Bo encouraged me to sand the steps, then clean them thoroughly with mineral spirits.  Once they were clean, I applied fresh paint to the risers, then brushed on a coat of polyurethane to the treads. Bo advised me to choose a durable 50-year semi-gloss polyurethane. I followed package directions for applying the polyurethane, going back to re-coat the steps twice more at four-hour intervals to ensure a lasting finish.




Here is the completed project. With our active family, I am certain the risers will need to be repainted from time to time. But Bo encouraged me to refinish the treads, saying I might not need to do it again for as long as we own the house. That's pretty good for one day's work! (If only cleaning the bathroom was a one-time project.)




If you haven't entered my current giveaway, check out this post for an opportunity to win a sweet little doll dress. I will announce the winner tomorrow!



"Often, what seems an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in." -- Robert Brault


Blog Widget by LinkWithin